Monday 6 May 2013

Taking it easy by the River

As expected last week was pretty light on the training front. Got an easy bike commute in on Wednesday as unable to swim that evening (family dinner planned). Thursday morning was a 45min run / strength set around Preston Park.

I had planned a nice weekend away with my wife (Fri-Sun) as it was our 18th anniversary. We stayed at a comfortable hotel in Hampshire which had a half decent gym and swimming pool. Friday before dinner we tried the pool, sauna and steam room - all relaxing stuff.

When away I love a cooked breakfast but do feel I have to earn it first. So on both Saturday and Sunday morning I was up at 7am and first in the gym for hard one hour sessions of cardio and weights, followed by a brief swim to cool down. I certainly got the blood pumping and was sweating buckets by the end of each session. I planned it to perfection as I was back in our room before 8:30am to wake the wifey up with a cup of tea. Breakfast followed at 9:30am and I didn't feel too guilty going for the cooked option.

As we had been away for the weekend I promised the children a trip to Thorpe Park on our return. I quite like all the rides but as I am getting older they are becoming less of an interest. My thoughts were I would go on a few and them camp out at the local Costa Coffee outlet at the Park with a good book. Then I started to think a little bit more like a triathlete... My plan developed into the following:

I drove the children to Thorpe Park, got them tickets and ensured they were safely inside. My daughter and boyfriend are quite responsible so they were kind enough to keep an eye on the younger boys (my 11-year old son and his mate). They have been to the Park many times and always tend to go off on their own so I didn't feel they needed me there anyway.

Meanwhile, I changed into my running gear and headed off on a route I worked out last night on Google Maps. I ran about 4km up the A320 and across the river. Then it was a good 8km run along the river bank in glorious sunshine passing the lovely riverside properties before hitting a bridge at Chertsey, which got me back to Thorpe Park - an easy 14km run.

During my run I found a nice riverside spot opposite an Esso petrol station where I could grab a Costa coffee and some semi-healthy food (sandwich + fruit). I decided to head back to my newly found spot after my run. If I had gone into Thorpe Park I would have probably ended up eating a KFC - tasty but certainly not healthy.

I am pleased that I made a couple of healthier choices, saved myself a bit of cash yet my children are still happy with a good day out - everyone's a winner!

The plan is to be back on the bike tomorrow and Thursday, running Wednesday and Friday, and swimming on Wednesday and Saturday. I really do need to start to get a few 3-4 hour bike rides in the bank if I want to have a decent middle-distance race at Vachery.

I leave you with the view from the Thames.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...