Friday 16 August 2013

Not in the mood

Still struggling a bit - body in a bit of a mess and generally not in the right frame of mood for training.

I am completing the daily exercises / stretches to try and help the Achilles problem and had plans to incorporate with a very easy jog around Preston Park. This morning when I tried it the pain in the tendons hadn't eased and I thought it wise to cut the session short.

Still managed about 100km on the bike this week with two decent commutes. All relatively easy in zone 1-2. No swimming simply because my elbow is still a little cut up from my bike incident but hope to get in the pool for a Club swim tomorrow morning.

I am looking forward to a change of scenery next week as I have some time with the family in Spain. Hopefully it is what I need to recharge the batteries and sort out my injuries. 

The plan is to take the road bike (still currently the Ribble - patched up) as I know some great rides close to the villa where we are staying.

I cannot seem to get out of the habit of getting up early even on holiday and normally find by 7am (a decent lie in for me) that I am ready to go. This is a great opportunity to sneak out early when it is not as hot as later in the day and get in an early ride on the bike. I normally aim to get a 1-2 hour ride in and a quick swim before the rest of the family have surfaced from their beds. That means I can spend the majority of the day chilling and spending time with the kids and still feel like I have got some training in. Also helps me staying relatively in shape as the food and drink intake on holiday is higher than normal, as you may expect.

My family are also quite active so there is always time for swimming in the pool and sea plus ball games down at the beach. In addition the children all run now and want to go out for a family run together - magic moments! Hopefully my Achilles will hold out and I will really enjoy some easy run sessions with the kids.

The villa has Wi-Fi so I will try to write one  or two posts for the blog while I am away. I am also looking forward to reading a few decent books and will publish the titles and my thoughts in due course - mix of motivational and fitness books.

Before I sign out a few special mentions - fantastic effort by Matt Ryley (again) for cracking 11 hours in Ironman UK on a pretty difficult (hilly) course - another amazing race from him. Also total respect for Chris Bud, fellow Club member experiencing his first Ironman, and Andrew Lambert, who I met on the London 2 Paris ride. Neither had their ideal race and the results they personally wanted but still got across the line - a great achievement.

Finally best of luck to Nick Finch, one of the Club's top athletes, as he takes on Ironman Sweden this weekend. Nick is hoping for sub 10 hours and a possible Kona slot - I will be following his progress and wish him all the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...