Friday 1 November 2013

A slightly strange, yet leisurely and enjoyable, training day

Wednesday was fun...

The day started with a journey up to Thorpe Park as a half-term treat for the children. I agreed for them each to take a friend, which worked in my favour because they weren't too worried for me to join them on the rides. So my challenge was to stay close enough (if they needed me) but also make best use of the 9 hours I had before I would see them again for the journey home.

From my last post: http://trihardtraining.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/ok-i-admit-it-i-am-beginning-to-become.html I made a reference to a Company called Brompton Dock that hired out folding bikes for a day or more. As we were passing close to Guildford on the journey to Thorpe Park, I had arranged to borrow a Brompton bike for the day. Given there was five of us in the car this was my only option to take a bike but also something that I was keen to try out for the day.

The process was relatively straight forward in that I registered my details on line (simple leisure membership for £1 per annum) and thereafter I would be charged at £5 per day. I swiftly got a text confirming the hire and that I should pick up 'Philip' (yes - they actually gave the bike a name!) at Guildford Station dock. Armed with a key-code to open the locker I found 'Philip' exactly as planned and was back on my way to Thorpe Park within minutes, a very efficient system.

Once at the park I got the children sorted and by 11am was on the road. I was impressed with the build quality of the Brompton and the overall feel of the ride was a lot better than I thought. The model I borrowed was the classic M3L, which had 3 gears, not my usual 20 plus. The few hills that I explored were a little tougher on the Brompton than would have been on my race bike however I managed to scoot along at around 20-25km per hour on the flat. The small wheels give it a slight 'twitchy' feel but acceleration is good and overall it is a fun and enjoyable ride.

I had a route in mind and headed for Virginia Water where I cycled through Windsor Great Park to the castle. There were lots of opportunities to stop ant take pictures (see below) - a great day weather wise and for exploring the area. I then headed into Windsor to admire the castle and take a picture of one of the local hotels (Castle hotel) where I proposed to my wife near on 20 years ago. After an hour or so in the saddle I decided a coffee break was needed. I remembered a Costa conveniently positioned on the river between Windsor and Eton, which I headed for. This was a great opportunity to test the flexibility of the Brompton, which I duly folded up and carried it in to Costa to buy a coffee. I did feel like I could go anywhere and this must be the greatest selling point for such a bike, especially for city exploring where it is more difficult to find a place to secure your 'trusty steed'.

On leaving Windsor I headed back towards Staines via Runnymede and some great views of the Thames. After close to 45km in the saddle I arrived back at Thorpe Park and folded up 'Philip' and popped him safely in the boot of the car. At the time is was around 3pm so I still had at least another 4-5 hours to kill. I checked in with the children who were apparently having a great time on the rides and the 'Fright night' entertainment.

Next it was on with the running shoes for an easy run loop around the Thames Path, passing some lovely riverside properties and boats. I returned as the sun was going down, banking another 1:20 of training time and 14km of distance.

At this time I was feeling a little hungry so after once again checking in with the children I pulled out 'Philip' again to cycle into Staines to find some much needed food. This time I had changed into my normal clothes and trainers (rather than my typical riding Lycra gear). It was rush hour on the busy roads but I shot along passing all the traffic not feeling any discomfort cycling in jeans and a jumper. I did make sure I was well lit up but made short work of the 4-5km before I hit a possible place to eat. Again the folding action came in very handy and 'Philip' was neatly stored while I enjoyed my food. A final 4-5km return leg to the car took my total mileage on the Brompton to 55km - not bad!

We finally left the park around 9pm so I managed to get a bit of 'shut-eye' before making the return road trip home, via Guildford station to deposit 'Philip' back in his dock.

Overall a great day of training (much cheaper than entry to Thorpe Park) plus lots of fun. The kids were happy and I was too - job done!

I do not think this will be my last adventure on a Brompton - watch this space.

Windsor Great Park - local wildlife
Windsor Great Park - Totem Pole

Busy cycleway / footpath

Beautiful Lakes

The Long Walk - unfortunately cycling prohibited

Windsor Castle

'Philip' the Brompton bike at Windsor

Return leg - at Runnymede

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...