Tuesday 14 October 2014

What's new Tri Hard Dave?

And I'm back!!

It has been a while since my success at Challenge Vichy when I logged another ironman-distance race in my training/event diary.

Since then my training has been light (around 5-8 hours per week) as my focus has switched to recovery mode. It has also given me a bit of time to work on other tasks both at home and work, which is no bad thing and makes for a more balanced lifestyle.

On Sunday I managed to get in a longer trail run (20km plus) and now feel that I am ready to up the training volume once again in preparation for the challenges ahead.

So what events have I got coming up and what are my goals for the months ahead.

Goals for the coming months:

  • Gym / strength work in off-season to improve core - consider crossfit or joining a gym, take some fitness classes
  • 'A' race - Centurion South Downs Way 50 mile ultra-distance run (target time - under 12 hours). Scheduled for April 2015
  • Complete Level 1 British Triathlon Federation (BTF) coaching course - start in Nov 2014
  • Shorter distance cross-country races - improve on 5km and 10km times
  • 'B' race(s) - 70.3 triathlon (half-ironman distance) - yet to be decided
  • Club races - try to participate in the majority of the Club's races in 2015
Other non-triathlon related goals for the coming months:
  • Learn to ride a motorcycle - already passed CBT (125cc legal), progression to direct access
  • Create a more decluttered and training-friendly garage (or 'cave of pain')
Some other news that is worth mentioning - I have been placed on gardening leave for the next 6 months (long story and not worthy of discussion in this training blog). This does present me with an opportunity to increase my training volume to levels that would have been difficult to maintain when I was working full-time. Hopefully this will help me in my preparation to my 'A' race and building up the miles off-road.

Now I am back online with more time on my hands I also plan to publish more blog posts to keep you informed of my progress and any tips I can provide on training, nutrition, health, productivity and general fitness.

Over the next few days I will be working on a training plan, taking the above goals into consideration, which will likely be bias to run training over the winter months.

Glad to be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...