Thursday 29 October 2015

Overweight - not bike, run or swim fit - Oh Dear!

I am keeping to my training plan this week and will have banked over 8 hours by the time I get home tonight (post commute). That is the good news.

The bad news is I am currently overweight and simply not bike, run or swim fit - Oh Dear!

The reason is primarily related to lack of volume but also I expect to too much of the same 'Pegler speed/effort' training. Throw in the lack of strength work and I know I am more than likely going to get injured if I simply up the volume and keep to the same effort level.

As for being slightly above my 'fighting weight' I have had too many nice food/drink experiences recently and the silly festive season is not even here yet - I am peaking too early!

So actions:

  • Reduce sugary foods and restrict alcohol to weekends
  • Plan more mixed sessions - tempo, fartlek, strides, hills etc.
  • Learn to go very easy and very hard - less of the 'Pegler pace'
  • Incorporate 2-3 strength sets every week, even if 15-30 mins
  • Add in a Monday Club swim to offset lost Wed/Sat swim set that I now coach (not swim)
  • Plan a few very easy fat-burning long runs (25km+) prior to building up the back-to-back weekend runs
  • Reminder to self - new trail shoes - had to dump old Asics Gel Lahar shoes after 1,175km (RIP my old friends) plus new goggles - Aqua Sphere Kayenne are my current favourites
Hopefully that should help get me back on course.

Back soon with some news on training/strategy for South Downs 100 event, review of new Salomon trail backpack and a possible new sponsor - exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...