Sunday 21 July 2013

Vachery race report - good result but a few schoolboy errors

So today was my 'A' race - Vachery middle distance triathlon.

I was up at 4:15 and at the event for just gone 5am when registration opened. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed with some soothing tunes coming over the loudspeaker. So good so far.

When setting up my bike we heard that news that wetsuits were banned for Olympic distance and below but optional for the longer middle distance event. I would have preferred a decision one way or the other but now I was forced with a decision. I do like the buoyancy that a wetsuit gives you but am not much quicker wearing one. The race official persuaded me out of it and I walked to the lake and race briefing in my tri suit.  Looking around I realised most athletes had a wetsuit on so I bottled it and ran back to transition to grab my wetsuit - I had 15-20mins before my wave started.

First small mistake was coming back without any Vaseline or lube, which normally helps me from rubbing around the neck and arm area. Luckily Chris was on hand with his bag and Vaseline (he was doing the Olympic event a little later in the morning). Before I knew it I was in the lake and kind of glad I had gone with the wetsuit option.

The klaxon went off and we were away for the first leg and a full 1,900m swim. There was a lot of pond weed and lilies in the lake, which made the going very difficult in a few places, however for the most part I was setting a decent pace and sighting well to keep me on track. I even got a bit of a draft from a few swimmers. The swim seemed to go quite quickly and before I knew it I was been helped out of the water onto the pontoon for a time of 35mins. My legs were still fresh and I was feeling good. Next schoolboy error - I dropped my new swim goggles on the long run from the lake to transition and decided to head back to get them. Only 30-40 seconds wasted but I could have done without that!

Next error and one I wouldn't realise to later in the race. I must have pulled my timing chip off as I pulled off my wetsuit so no official T1, bike split and T2 time - silly boy! Overall the bike was not super fast and I plodded up the steep Leith Hill (twice), however I was pleased with my nutrition and felt pretty good throughout. On the flat I managed to put the pedal down and increased my average speed to just under 30km, not too bad considering the hilly route and sharp descents.

My final schoolboy error came as I came into T2 - I couldn't find my bike spot and running shoes. You should always review swim in, bike in/out and run in/out and did I - no! That is almost on page 1 of 'how to race triathlons' and I know this stuff - what was I thinking.

Anyway, finally got to my gear, found my timing chip in the leg of my wetsuit and put it on - all good to go. I thought the 20km run would be agony but actually I was feeling pretty good, averaging between 4:45 to 5:30mins per km on the varied terrain (grass, gravel and road). It was nice to see some of the Club members as it was a double loop and I managed a few 'high 5's' with my pals. I was still feeling strong for the last 5km and even managed a bit of a sprint for the finish line.

My time was 5:08 and change and given my few schoolboy errors, which probably added 2-3mins I was pretty pleased. I immediately went to the timing chip company and explained my problem with the timing chip. They recommended I e-mail the company with proof that I completed the bike route. Fortunately I had a full record on my Garmin plus hopefully a few choice pictures from the official photographers - I am a bit of a poser. I have already sent the proof so am hoping that I do not end up with a 'Did not Finish' (DNF).

Anyway, I know I completed the full 1,900m swim, 80km bike and 20km run - a little less than a standard 70.3 event - and am putting it down as a personal best. I am most pleased with my swim and run, a much different result than previous half-Ironman distances I have completed at Antwerp and in the New Forest.

The good news is that I feel fine and at the moment (at least) have know aches and pains or funny tummy / appetite issues (as in the past).

I might be getting the hang of this triathlon business!

N.B. Well done to Mark Davis (the organiser of the Vachery event) and all his crew - a great event

1 comment:

  1. 5.08 is a great time. I reckon we would be neck and neck all the way round. We may have to book a 70.3 in the diary and have a £1 bet for the winner :)

    ReplyDelete

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...