Thursday 25 May 2017

Not a great success in the pool - struggling with arm strain

So I know I need to update you on my fitness to date (lack of detail over the last year) and I do hope to back-fill and provide this information.

For now, however, let's just brief you on how I feel today.

Well, unfortunately I am suffering with a right arm strain, nothing too serious, but enough to cause pain during a 45 mins plus swim session. I have no idea what caused it but I do know it is taking much more time to fully heal than I expected - symptom of my age!

Last night I decided to attend the Club swim set, the first since the 8th May, and it wasn't that pretty. Half-way into the the 90 mins set I thought it best to call it a day. My journey home involved a stop to the local supermarket to pick up some frozen peas and some Ibuprofen. I think I need to apply more of that RICE thing (Recovery, Ice, Compression & Elevation).

Hopefully it will all be sorted by July 9th (Challenge Roth). However, I still have a 70.3 (half-Ironman) event in just over a week's time (June 4th - Cotswold Middle Distance) - may have to take the swim relatively easy.

I do also need to watch my ankles - as the run volume increases there is a risk of the old 'Achilles' tendon problem surfacing again - need to get in those specific stretches before anything flares up.

So today, I hope an easy run (beautiful day to be out), mindful of previous injuries.

Friday, an evening spin class with the lovely Lucy (my girlfriend - more on that later), then more time on the bike during the weekend. I will see how the arm goes as ideally I had planned for the first dip in the lake on Sunday - just a couple of laps to try out the wetsuit prior to the Cotswold middle distance event.

I am personally looking for around 12 hours+ in the Strava bank this week.

Over and out - get out there and soak up that Vitamin D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...