Wednesday 31 May 2017

Strava target achieved - easy taper week ahead

So last week Strava results - 12.5 hours, which is accepted, although probably not what it should be for someone who has an Ironman is less than 40 days!!

Most of that was in the saddle (approx. 10 hours) with only 1 hour running (Achilles niggles) and 1 hour swimming (arm strain) - my goodness I am falling to pieces.

The timing is not great as this weekend I have my first proper event of the season - The Cotswold 113 (or middle distance triathlon - half Ironman), which is going to be a bit of 'suck it and see'.

With the exception of the injuries I reckon my general base will get me through the distance but I am not sure how fast and whether the injuries will flare up and then make my main event in early July - Challenge Roth - a non-starter.

A wise man (or coach) would probably advise skipping this 'B' race and focus on the task ahead - Challenge Roth (my main 'A' race), however I am a typical 'won't be beaten', 'give it a go', 'paid for it now' kind of guy and therefore I expect to be on the start line this Sunday.

I am not a complete fool and would hate to put my health at risk so I will be starting at Pegler pace and see how I feel during the race. To date I have never had a DNF, well apart from Steyning sprint triathlon one year, which was cancelled because of heavy snow during the race - mad!

So, in order to give my body the best chance of making it around the 113km course on Sunday I am giving myself a rest week with hardly any training, although I did manage to get my first lake/wetsuit swim in on bank holiday Monday.

If my body holds together then I plan to have 3 more heavy weeks (June 5th - Jun 25th) followed by one lighter week (June 26th - July 2nd) and then a further taper to July 9th and race day at Roth.

Will report back on Costwold 113. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...