Sunday 17 February 2013

On the bike - a proper session

Over the last couple of months I have been getting on my bike but the focus has been on shorter turbo / commuting sessions, typically 45 to 90 mins.

Today I managed to clear the diary and scheduled a longer ride with my training partner and neighbour, Chris. It was a misty start and as a result quite chilly. We met up with Ray after about 40 mins in who had ridden up from the coast to join us. He recommended we head back to the coast in search of a bit of sun.

It was a great move as within 10 mins of leaving Steyning the mist disappeared and we hit brilliant sunshine. The coast road through Worthing to Goring was full of life with cyclists and runners that all seemed to be enjoying the warmer weather. The pace along the flat coast road was relatively fast (35-40 km per hour) but it didn't feel too energy sapping, especially as we drafted off each other. Ray turned around at Goring as he was planning a long run.

Chris and I ventured on towards Littlehampton, Ford and on to Arundel. Chris set a decent pace but I managed to keep him in my sights even though I was unable to hang onto his back wheel. We climbed from Arundel up to the roundabout above Houghton - a tough ascent that found me trailing further behind and running out of juice.

From there all the way home my pace fell off, highlighting that I needed a few more longer rides in the bank to get properly bike fit. However, it was a start and a great day to be out - Spring feels only around the corner!

Total 77km covered in just under 3 hours with some decent hills thrown in for good measure.

Full workout details can be found via the following link:

http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/IKTZ45NXHA662T6RMMMLN4FCBY

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...