Tuesday 21 January 2014

Good track session - a bit of zone 5

This evening I managed to get to another Club track set led by the Dynamic Duo (Coach Louis and Andy).

After a couple of warm up laps and some dynamic stretching we got down to business and were each given target times to complete 5x 1km sets at race pace. The target times were based on our previous 3km time trial effort, which I had completed in 12:11.

My 1km target time was a nice round 4:00 with 400m splits of around 1:36.

Like the coaches probably expected most went off a little quicker than we should. A quick glance at my watch showed 1:26 for the first 400m lap. I did eventually find a rhythm and my 1km splits were as follows:

1. 3:50
2: 3:51
3: 3:53
4: 3:57
5: 3:52

Pretty good but no doubt the Coaches will adjust my time for my next attempt.

I wore my HR belt and a quick look at the data confirmed I was in zone 5 (above 153 beats per minute) for most of the main set. Strava gave me a 'Suffer Score' of 114, which is classified as a tough session.

The homework for next week is to add 5 mins to the tempo run, increasing the time to 25mins at around 10km race pace. I will aim for a target pace of under 4:30mins per km. Last week's effort (only 20mins) was clocked at 4:25mins per km.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...