Tuesday 27 May 2014

Plan for the last week in the build phase

'Scores on the doors' last week - a lower volume of training with some intensity work on the bike.

This week is officially my last within the 'build phase' with the focus on a greater level of intensity and lower volume - quality above quantity.

My plans over the last fortnight have been slightly disrupted as my Achilles tendon problem (left ankle) has flared up again. Fortunately any pain, albeit minor, has eased over the last couple of runs and I am hoping to be fully recovered by next week when the 'peak phase' starts in earnest. During this phase, arguably the most important, I would expect to strike a good balance of quality and quantity, with the focus on race specificity throughout. If all goes to plan the volume should increase from the current 8-12 to 10-16 hours but steadily built up over a few weeks.

This is what I have planned for this week - some intensity including a supersprint race event but a long ride on Sunday as I transition to 'peak phase':

Mon - 1:00 Bike Turbo (power set)
Tue - 1:00 Run (easy-steady) / 1:00 Bike Turbo (another power set) / stretching exercises
Wed - 0:30 Run interval set (not too intense) / 1:30 Club swim
Thu - 1:00 Run (easy-steady)
Fri - 0:45 Club Handicap race - supersprint event 
Sat - 1:00 Club Swim / prepare bike for long Sunday sportive
Sun - 6:00 'King of the Downs' sportive - 115 miles and 9,000ft of climbing - a monster!

Some 14 hours of training if completed in full. A good mix of intensity work and a fun Club race trying to put it all together. Followed by a long sportive - over ironman distance - a great 'time in the saddle' test. Given this is a bit of a jump from previous weeks and the plan is to build steadily, my effort on Sunday is going to be easy-steady.

Details of the long sportive can be found via the link:


My next blog will include race reports on the first Club Handicap of the season and the King of the Downs sportive. I also have the opportunity to try out a new top-end wetsuit, a Z3ROD Vanguard Stealth wetsuit, thanks to Alan from The Physio Fitness & Wellbeing Company www.physiofitnesswellbeing.co.uk

To the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...