Sunday 30 June 2013

Ironman Austria 2013 - a day of reflection

Well this time a year ago I was probably in the best shape of my life and was generally pretty pleased with myself as I had just become an Ironman, completing IM Austria in under my target time of 13 hours (actual time of 12:23:03).

A year later I have been following a friend do the same race and re-living the experience. Dan Armitage completed IM Austria in 12:18:03, exactly 5mins quicker than me. I will get a full race report on his return but looking at the initial results he looked to have a strong swim and bike with a tough run to finish - sounds familiar! I am really proud of his achievement and how far he has come in such a short time.

I now have three weeks to prepare for my 'A' race (Vachery 70.3 middle-distance event) and know I need more focus in my training if I want a decent time on the day. In addition a few pounds off my body weight should help on the hills, I understand that both the bike and the run are lumpy.

As my road bike is out of action (waiting for Ribble to pick up in order to check the frame) this is an ideal opportunity to get more time on the TT / triathlon bike. Some strength training will also be of benefit, especially if I can improve my power to weight ratio.

I will share some specific training sessions in future blogs, which should help me to focus on my race goals at Vachery.

Meanwhile on this anniversary date, I am getting itchy feet and feel like getting an Ironman distance race in the diary for 2014. Will let you know what I decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...