Sunday 7 April 2013

A change of focus

Sitting in the sunshine at the West Sussex Rugby Festival in Crawley watching my son who is playing for Pulborough U11's - my boy is doing well.

It was a week ago when I completed my last training session and I was determined not to go more than a week without another, however short.

The problem is that I still have flu and am still struggling with any kind of exercise. The normal 'rule of thumb' is you can train through a cold but best to simply rest when you have flu.

Probably against my better judgment I went for an easy 2km run around the town this morning. I was coughing and spluttering for most of the time (only 10 mins) but was pleased my legs at least still worked.

I am no longer focussing on a PB at next week's marathon my new challenge is simply to get to the start line with no flu in order to give myself a fighting chance to complete the distance.

It is amazing how your focus can change but I am a great believer that revising your goals is a healthy pursuit. It is not the end of the world if I cannot get a PB but I will be slightly disappointed with a DNS (Did not start) or DNF (Did not finish).

I will continue to let you know my progress. This was officially my taper week so I was not expecting high volume anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...