Friday 12 April 2013

Registration Day

Well, some improvement, albeit slow!

Yesterday I decided to cycle in to work, taking it very easy. For most of the journey I was in zone 1 - just a nice spin for 30km. There was no return leg as I received a lift back with my family who were in town.

This morning I completed a 30min run - An easy 10min warm up and then 10x sprints of 30secs on and 30 secs recovery. Cool down and job done!

My legs are feeling pretty fresh, as you would expect after a fortnight of very little to minimal training. The problem is my chest remains tight and after any exercise I cough and splutter for a while - still the latter stages of this flu that has been doing the rounds.

Today is registration day for Brighton marathon and I have decided to at least give it a try. I could transfer my place to next year but at this late stage will lose my entrance fee. If I continue to improve then I have a fighting chance of completing the race although a PB is now much less likely (no longer my goal), it would be nice just to enjoy the race and try to get my pacing right. My plan is to aim for a target of 1:45-1:50 for the half-distance and then see how I feel. If the second half takes me nearer 2 hours then so be it. Ideally, and if I was 100% fit I would aim for a negative split but given the last fortnight, that is now more of a pipe dream than a realistic goal.

If I manage to complete the distance on Sunday it is likely that my chesty cough is going to be hanging around for longer however it is a risk I am currently happy to take.

Hopefully, my next blog will be the race report.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...