Monday 4 March 2013

Update post Tri Show and from sunny Morzine

Finished work late on Thursday evening after a very busy day in the office but was happy to bike home - time to unwind - holiday time!

I spent Friday morning packing and clearing up but fortunately managed to get out the door for 11am and headed for the Tri show at Sandown Park, which was scheduled to start at 12:30pm. The show was busier than ever - entry was free on Friday, which probably attracted the crowds, however there were no seminars or presentations just the trade stands. The sport is simply getting so popular and there were scores of people buying wetsuits with their first triathlon in mind.

I wasn't intending to buy any kit but was tempted with some Newton running shoes that were on sale at 50% the RRP. They did feel a little odd but when I tried a little run up the corridor it certainly did feel like it was shifting my weight and positioning me more correctly on to the mid-foot. A number of the club swear by them so I decided to give them a go. I intend to break them in gently and alternate between my normal Saucony support shoes and the new Newton Isaacs. If they work out I may even consider them for the Brighton marathon.

Up at the early hours on Saturday for the journey out to Morzine via Geneva airport. Arrived at the resort in the early afternoon with just enough time to sort out the ski hire so we would be good to go the next day.

The skiing on both Sunday and Monday was excellent - the snow was plentiful and the weather absolutely beautiful - very sunny conditions. I expect it could get a little icy at the end of the week if there is no more snow and the sunny conditions continue but for the time being it doesn't get much better.

Although I haven't been skiing for 4 years I am a competent skier and are able to tackle blue, red and most black runs. The thing I have noticed is that despite my overall fitness and strength in my legs from cycling and running I am getting quite a bit of leg burn. It doesn't take long to wear off and I can go again but I have been surprised that my legs get just as fatigued as the rest of the group even though I train on a regular basis. Either my technique is poor or I am simply using muscles that are less developed than those I use for the sport of triathlon, which need strengthening.

Anyway, I am sure that 7-8 hours skiing a day cannot hurt my fitness too much despite drinking and eating more than the norm - I am on holiday!

Managed to get a 30 min run in yesterday but legs are shot today so going to chill. Maybe plan a short run tomorrow morning before hitting the slopes yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...