Thursday 5 December 2013

So far so good - windy training session

So far so good this week ...

Monday - rest day - sweet!

Tuesday I was on the bike, which included a few hills for good measure. Nothing to difficult as my legs were still a little fatigued from the high-intensity off-road segments on Sunday's group ride. 

Wednesday night I was almost contemplating missing the Club swim as I had to travel up to London and was a weary at the end of the day. However, I simply got in the car and drove to the pool before I could talk myself out of it. Once there I got it done - a long 2.2km warm up with fins, then 4x 100m at perceived effort of 8 out of 10 (averaging around 1:40 min), followed by another 200m drills / cool down. 

Thursday was a long run down to Brighton Marina along the undercliff path and up to the top at Saltdean. I was going well, in fact too well, and should have realised earlier the wind was in my favour. By the time I hit the top of the cliffs and turned back towards Brighton I realised why the first leg was so fast and easy. In the other direction the winds were howling and my first few steps didn't get me very far. I looked up to see seagulls struggling to fly and almost going backwards. Tough conditions and about a 9km return journey - this was going to be fun! I thought heading back down towards the slightly less exposed undercliff path might work, however it was not much better and nearer the beach I had the problem of the sand blowing in my face. So back to the top of the cliffs again and with new vigour I just kept putting one foot in front of the other and in the end found a relatively decent pace. Once back at the Marina I turned away from the coastal winds to find some shelter on the back roads for the final leg. It was a 'game of two halves' but in the end a decent 1:30 run session and 17.5km in the Strava bank.

This morning I was back out again, this time for my normal run / strength exercise around Preston park - some easy running, speed work and 6x strength sets (10 push ups, 10 dips, 10 lunges, 10 squats and 10 step ups) - 45min in total (30mim run + 15min strength) - job done!

So what are the weekend plans you ask?

Saturday morning is a Club swim and Sunday I will back on the bike, likely to be an early morning MTB ride but probably not as full on as last week.

I should hit the 9.5 hours target. Next week (target 10 hours) will be more of a challenge, especially as it may be difficult to include a commute (need the car for business trips / meetings). It may have to be a few sessions on the turbo in the 'cave of pain' (garage).

Have a good weekend loyal followers  and keep the rubber side down. 

Until next time x

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...