Tuesday 6 February 2024

Flotation tank + 48 hour fast

A couple of activities (health related) to catch up on...

As planned, I managed a half-marathon distance training run on Saturday, from Hove to Saltdean, and back at a relatively comfortable pace. The return leg was slower but against the wind. This was closely followed (with tired legs) with a 45min session in a flotation tank.

I did enjoy the flotation tank session but probably won't be going back. It was good for relaxation and quite like a meditation session, but it didn't give me the buzz I had hoped for. I reckon I could get the same benefits (post exercise) from a sauna, at a much lower cost.

On Sunday we jumped on the road bikes for a local loop. My legs were relatively tired but I was pleased with my efforts. From there it was a shower on out for a nice lunch at the Perch, Lancing.

I then decided to start a 48-hour fast just to see how my body would feel plus determine any benefits - weight loss, reset of gut, changes to appetite etc.  I did a bit of research prior hand and decided 48 hours was about right for most benefits and a decent enough challenge.

The first 24 hours whizzed past and I felt no hunger. The second, a little more challenging, although I never really felt proper hunger, it was more of missing the habit of eating, if that makes sense. During the fast all I drank was water, black coffee, green tea and a half of glass of slightly salted water.

I ended the fast successfully at lunchtime today but probably ate the wrong foods - quite a large amount, albeit bias to protein (steak and prawns). It wasn't that I was that hungry it was simply 'back to normality'.

So, what did I learn and any immediate visible benefits from the 48 hour fast. Well, I did lose about 1.5kg but that might come back quite quickly, especially if I can continue to eat as I did this lunchtime! My first few mouthfuls of food did taste good and I enjoyed eating them slowly and savouring the flavours - felt a bit more intense. I certainly found the whole experience quite easy so maybe I should include in my diary each quarter (or month). This evening I did 30mins weights. Tomorrow I plan an interval run.

Back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...