Wednesday 7 May 2014

Feeling strong

Last week I recorded a higher volume training load, just coming in under 12 hours.

I am still in the build phase so the focus remains on some higher intensity workouts and lower overall volume (8-10 hours per week), however I do not wish to lose the feeling of getting in a longer session so still keen to include at least one a week.

Last Saturday I was fortunate enough to be invited to cycle around the Isle of Wight with the boys from the Club - a stag event would you believe it? From my last experience the IOW is quite hilly and I knew there were going to be plenty of tough sections during the 100km ride.

All of the Club riders were strong and the pace was brisk for most of the ride. I was most pleased, not that I could simply keep with the pack, but I felt so strong at the end. I remember feeling, is that it, I could do that again! Of course, the friendly banter, fantastic conditions and beautiful scenery all helped to make it a great day. Not sure I will feel the same after I finish the 115 miles 'King of the Downs' sportive that is less than a month away.

Since then I have completed a nice 11km negative split run and another open water dip in Southwater lake.

This morning was another long session, this time a 28km easy run into work. My pace was consistent around 5:40mins per km so took around 2:40 in total. Apart from having a bit of a thirst I feel pretty strong and no ill - effects whatsoever (so far).

Need to update you on a bit of new kit - some new race wheels and shoes. Would also love to update my wetsuit but a bit out of my budget at the moment. Will report back on the new kit in my next post.

Meanwhile,  work the uphills,  cruise the downhills and keep the rubber side down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...