Monday 24 November 2014

Life turned upside down

Sometimes in life you are thrown a curve ball and before you know it everything is out of sink.

Unfortunately I lost my Dad 10 days ago and so you would not be surprised to hear that my focus on training has been somewhat lacking. I was very close to my Dad and he will leave a very big hole, however he has left me with many magical memories. He also would have wanted me to get right back on that horse and live my life to the full.

So here I am again, trying to cling on to some kind of normality and keen to get back to my beloved training.

I last left you with a brief post confirming a bit of an adventure and an off-road MTB ride covering the route I will run in April 2015 (Centurion 50-mile ultra event from Worthing to Eastbourne over the South Downs Way). I did start that ride and despite the wet and muddy conditions got to around the Firle-Alfriston area before being picked up. No disasters I just underestimated the time it would take and had arranged to meet me wife for lunch. I rode for around 5:30 hours but reckon that I needed another 1-2 hours to get to Eastbourne. The going was slow and some parts of the route were almost impossible to ride. However, I was pleased that for the most part I kept on going and my legs were able to carry me up each and every ascent. As a result of the ride I need to reconsider my goal time of 10-12 hours for the ultra 50-mile run, maybe 12-14 hours would be more realistic (certainly in current muddy conditions).

My swimming has certainly suffered over the last 2-3 weeks of inactivity with me typically only attending 1-2 sessions over the whole period. That certainly needs to be addressed. The cycling hasn't been much better although I have managed a couple of spin classes at the gym and another leisurely off-road ride with the boys from the Club.

Fortunately I have arranged a 2-day MTB ride in Wales (Gower peninsula) for this coming weekend, which is exactly what I need to get back on track. Hopefully I will back to report on that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...