Sunday 28 July 2013

An easy week - a bit of an Achilles niggle

Not checked in for a while - sorry!

Been a bit of an easy week following my 'A' race last Sunday. Still have a bit of pain in my Achilles, not too serious but just a little twinge after any period of inactivity (i.e. getting out of bed) or at the start on a run (normally eases after first 1km). I originally felt it the day after I cycled up Ditchling Beacon on my friend's cyclocross bike when in my trainers. Hopefully it will simply get better with a bit of rest and some easy exercise and light stretching.

Need to sort my road bike out for next Sunday, which is the inaugural RideLondon 100 event. Ribble has inspected my frame but unfortunately is not willing to do any deal on a replacement even if I give them a decent parts order (new Campagnolo groupset plus wheels). I am now looking at two options - simply replacing the worn components on my Ribble Gran Fondo (bottom bracket, chain, cassette, chainset and cables) or using my company's Ride2Work scheme and buying a complete new bike. Although I like the sound of a new bike and am investigating a couple of very nice machines it is doubtful I will have sorted by Saturday when I have to travel up to London for the 100 mile event. So it looks likely to be a patch up job in the short-term.

In terms of new bikes I currently like the look of the Trek Madone 4.5 C H2 or a heavily discounted carbon Jamis that I have seen with full Ultegra electronic Di2 for about the same price. Both would set me back around £1,700 but I still hope to get £500-£700 for my Ribble, despite the minor paint imperfections (apparently not structural damage). Even so - a lot of money and something I will have to continue to sleep on.

Will try to get 1-2 cycle rides in before Saturday plus at least a couple of easy runs and the long Club swim. That should hopefully do me.

Before my summer holiday I also hope to do a full week of commuting - approx. 300km if I could manage it #nextgoal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...