Sunday 14 July 2013

Dress rehearsal - brick session to finish off the week

Sunday morning and by 7:30am I was out with Tri suit, TT bike, 'Sonic the Hedgehog' aero helmet for a brick session in preparation for the Vachery middle distance event next week.

15min warm up, followed by 2x of the Southwater relay course (approx. 18km loops) and then 15min cool down. Full distance was done at pretty decent speed (above 30km per hour). After 1:35 on the bike I was back home and within a minute had transitioned to run mode. My ankles were a little tight to start with but soon I was feeling pretty good and was quite surprised at my fast run pace: 4:00 to 4:30 min. per km. It was approx. 22:30 at the 5km turnaround point. Definitely a little slower on the return run but all completed in just over 46mins. Hope I can maintain similar speeds on the bike and the run next week for Vachery.

Been a little light in training volume this week with just under 9 hours but acceptable. Next week will be even lighter as I taper for Vachery.

I did however manage to get in my minimum 2 swims this week although one was a little more unusual. I found myself in Brighton on Wednesday evening and decided to join Brighton Tri Club for one of their the weekly swims at Pells Pool in Lewes. It is an old 50m length outside pool with plenty of width, which makes it excellent for open water swimming practice in a safe environment. We practiced sight breathing, drafting and turns all in a wetsuit. Then we put it all together and swam 10 circuits (around 1km) around floating markers (spacehoppers) positioned in the four corners of the large pool. All good stuff and a very friendly bunch of triathletes at all levels.

Probably take Monday as a rest day and Tuesday as an easy 2:00 ride. More swimming and running planned for later in the week but nothing too heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...