Monday 22 April 2013

Back in the training zone

Following my rugby tour weekend based at Minehead Butlins I am now keen to get back into the training zone and healthy eating.

It is really an effort to eat well when you are surrounded by Burger King, Pizza Hut, and a host of other fast-food outlets. However, I never expected Butlins to be a health spa and the main focus was spending some quality time with my son, the rugby squad and having an enjoyable time.

That said, I did get in one short run and a couple of swims (although spent more time on the slides than in the pool). I was happy to restrict the running as I am still experiencing some mild fatigue to the backs of my calves, post Brighton marathon.

So, a more normal week ahead - I took the time to prepare a plan:

Mon - 0:45 Run - easy pace + 2x tempo sets [DONE]
Tue - 2:00 Bike - commuting time, hill work + easy return
Wed - 0:45 Run - 10x 30 secs fast strides / 30 secs rest + warm up / cool down; 1:30 Swim - long club session
Thu - 2:00 Bike - commuting time, interval work + easy return
Fri - 0:45 Run - strength work around Preston Park incl. tempo
Sat - 1:00 Swim - club session
Sun - 2:30 Long Club Duathlon (10km run + 40km bike + 5km run)

So 9-10 hours this week if all goes to plan.

Fortunately, I did not experience any considerable pain (only very mild) in my run this morning so hopefully no damage done and the muscles are recovering, albeit slower than in the past. I am still persevering with my Newton running shoes and convinced they make me a little faster. Just need to try them on longer runs over the coming months.

I would like to get a PB for the long Club Duathlon this Sunday, previously recording a time of 2:20:40, broken down as follows: 10km run (46:10), T1 (0:37), 40km bike (1:09:09), T2 (0:38), 5km run (24:06).

A bit of a challenge given my fitness level and recent activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...