Tuesday 28 May 2013

A long weekend of decent weather and some successful training sessions

Last week I entered a weekly goal of 10 hours plus of quality training within the   Garmin Connect on-line tool.

By Thursday I already had close to 7 hours in the bank so I was well on track. Friday was taken as a rest day but I was well up for getting outdoors and some training over the long sunny weekend.

Saturday morning began as normal with the Club swim - lots of pace work. On early Sunday morning the South Downs beckoned and I couldn't resist dusting off the old Ellsworth Epiphany full suspension stallion and heading for those hills. It has been a while since I have been on the MTB and I was smiling all the way - fantastic weather and great trails. Despite my lack of recent mountain biking training I was still able to get up the steepest of hills passing a number of cyclists walking up the tough parts of the South Downs Way. I sometimes have to remind myself that I mostly got into triathlon because I wanted to get fitter in order to keep up with the stronger local MTB riders. Anyway it was just great to enjoy the biking and the fantastic area which I live - I am very fortunate to have such wonderful rides on my doorstep.



Sunday afternoon saw me back at the lake for a similar open water swim session to last week although I was pleased to focus on a more aggressive style and higher arm cadence.

So ended the week with well over 11 hours of training - goal achieved!

On Monday I woke to more sun so was happy to cycle to the Coast and meet my work buddies, Ewen and Charlie, at Sea Lane Cafe, Goring-by-Sea (pictured below).




From Goring we headed off towards Arundel and then a big climb to the top of Bury Hill before descending at speed (over 60km per hour) towards Pulborough. It was there where I left the boys who continued their journey as I headed for home. An enjoyable session including hills, speed and easy riding, 62km in total.

The long weekend ended with an easy 5km trail run before dinner.

A busy week ahead with 2 days in London so probably lighter on the training front. Only a fortnight to my first charity ride - London 2 Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...