Thursday 9 May 2013

How fast can I go

Quick update on the week so far:

Tue: 2 hours (38 miles) on the bike - hill route via Devils' Dyke into work followed by fast rolling route for return leg home

Wed: 1:30 Club swim - mix of longer 600m sets and fast speed work. Used my pullbuoy for some of the longer sets.

Some of the guys I swim with were amused that I was getting a slight rash on my right shoulder, which turned out to be razor burn as I turn my head to the right and it rubs against my shoulder as my arms rotate. One friendly person said that it was probably because I was quite muscle bound in the shoulder area. To be honest I think that is code for 'your technique is crap and you need to rotate the arms wider'. That is one solution, an easier option is to simply shave before every swim!

Thu: 0:40 run - gentle warm up for 15 mins and then fast 2.5km on track (Preston Park Velo - Garmin to accurately measure distance) before cool down. I wanted to break 10mins for 2.5km. My average pace came in at 3:55mins per km, which meant I scraped in at 9:48mins. Over the coming weeks I plan to do similar speed sets but build up the distance by 0.5km each time. The goal is to beat my 5km PB of 21:27 and over time complete the distance sub 20mins.

I might start competing in the 5km Park Run events normally held on Saturday mornings at least once a month (i.e. miss my Club swim and replace with a run). Meanwhile, still more focus needed on the bike. If I struggle to get in a commute tomorrow I plan to jump on the rollers / turbo in the evening. I also plan to be up early Sunday morning to get in a 2-3 hour ride - remember those! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...