Monday 17 June 2013

Not back to normal training yet - Club Sprint Tri report

It was a slightly odd week - after returning from Paris I had 2 days in London followed by 2 days as hosts of the Arundel cricket festival, which was not the best set up for my training.

I did however get a short run in on Tuesday morning and my normal Club swim on Saturday morning. Not much but kept the legs from seizing up.

On Sunday morning and after an evening of dancing (not great race preparation) I was up early to jump in the lake for the Club's sprint triathlon race, 750m swim, 20km bike and 5km run.

I started poorly, there was around 15 club members that started the race and I think I was probably around 12th out the water. It didn't feel that slow but I am simply not as fast in a wetsuit as some of the other guys, definitely an area to work on and gain some improvement.

My first transition was also slow (times to be confirmed) so I had some work to do on the bike. Fortunately I felt strong, may be because I didn't kick that heavily in the swim or possibly recent bike strength from London 2 Paris event. I quickly gained on the competitors in front and within 10km had moved up to 4th place. I was actually surprised that I had gained so many places and even managed to take 3rd place before the end of the 20km bike. My 2nd transition was slightly better although my feet were quite numb (I was not wearing socks as only a short distance triathlon).

I set off at a reasonable pace but had no sight of the 2 club members in front of me. At the turnaround point on the run I realised I was only a couple of minutes down on 2nd place. I did close the gap to nearer a minute but was unable to make up the ground as I crossed the line in 3rd place.

I will post my times and splits once confirmed with the race officials and will be keen to analyse against previous races. In summary a good result given what I felt was a poor start.

Looking forward to getting back to some normality and consistent training over the weeks ahead.

Update to post (18.06.13) splits on Club Sprint:

Swim (750m): 14:58
T1: 01:08
Bike (20km): 36:31
T2: 00:39
Run (5km): 22:25

Total 01:15:42

In 2008 I completed the same race in 01:16:40 (although the bike then was only 18km but slightly more hilly) 15:30, 37:23, 23:47

In 2009 I completed the race in 01:15:57 (same course as 2008) 17:50, 35:39, 22:28

In 2010 I completed the race in 01:08:11 (same bike course as 2008 but only 500m swim) 09:58, 35:37, 22:36

In 2011 / 12 - no Club sprint event

So all very similar but I reckon just about a Personal Best 'PB'

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...