Saturday 8 June 2013

Day 3 of London 2 Paris - one of my best days ever on the bike

Day 3 of the London 2 Paris charity bike ride and all I can say is that is was simply one of my best ever days on the bike. Not just for the great cycling but location, variation (steady pace cycling to super fast time trials), great banter, fantastic organisation and overall 'big smile on your face' adventure. 

It started with a decision whether to go back to the fast Group or spend the day in the slightly easier pace Group 2. Despite my bike being close to falling apart and a little dangerous I opted for Group 1 - it was supposed to be less hilly so I had a better chance of staying with the elite cyclists.

We had a bit of a wait in the sports hall as we were the last to leave but it was a good opportunity to have a chat with the other cyclists - all very friendly. Here I am with the legendary ex Crystal Palace and Arsenal player, Ian Wright.


The two time trials during the day (both around 9km) were super fast even on the rolling terrain - not as flat as I thought. I was averaging speeds of well over 40km on the flat and 35km overall. You can imagine what the Elite boys were doing as I was one of the slowest.

At lunchtime I got a massage which certainly helped later in the day - fortunately still no aches and pains to report. There was a speaker playing motivational music on the lunch stop and a got a chance to play one of my favourite tracks, 'Infinity', which was loaded onto my iPhone. It brought back magic moments of the Ironman events and was well received by the cyclists.

Met some great people, many very inspirational - elite cyclists, triathletes, celebrities and also lots that have only taking up cycling in the last 6-12 months - amazing!

Also met a personal trainer / triathlete that completed a Deca-Ironman - he swam the channel, came straight back by boat, cycled 1,800km around the county and then race to Paris (10x marathons). I knew that the event existed but I never thought I would meet anyone who had completed such an amazing (mad) goal.

I could go on and on with fantastic and inspirational stories that I have heard over the last 3 days, may be subjects for future blogs.

For now I am going to get a reasonably early night so I am fresh for the last 100km ride into Paris tomorrow. The roads will be closed so it is going to be a very special day.

I will report back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...