Wednesday 11 September 2013

Back to the plan

Some improvement in my eating / drinking habits so getting back to normality on the weight front. I wouldn't say I was obeying all my top tips for weight loss (see last post) so still room for further progress.

The good news is that the regular stretching is finally paying dividends and my Achillies tendonitis problem is easing. I have also been making every effort to use ice (small ice pack down my socks) to speed up the recovery.

This morning I logged my longest run for a good month or so after completing 10km along Brighton seafront. The pace was embarrassingly slow (approx. 5:30 to 6 mins per km) and although I hardly broke a sweat I did not have any ill effects from my tendons. I still do not feel confident running a half-marathon distance or increasing the speed significantly but there has been a definite improvement. I will continue with the stretching and ice until there is no further pain whatsoever.

There was some discussion at the Club of getting a full Ironman distance race in the calendar for next year (end of season. - Sept / Oct). Currently the two races (both Challenge rather than official  Ironman events) on the radar screen are Barcelona and Vichy. No decision yet but I am keen to return to a more structured training plan in preparation for some 'A' race in 2014.

For the rest of the week I am aiming for the following:

Wed - 1:00 easy run (Done) + 1:30 club swim
Thu - 2:00 cycle (via commute), morning - interval set, home - easy
Fri - 1:00 easy run / strength set
Sat - 1:00 club swim
Sun - 2:30 cycle (possibly on mountain bike)

My objective is to build back to 10-12 hours over the coming months but will be subject to injuries and any decisions on 2014 races / events.

Stay safe out there my loyal followers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...