Monday 10 February 2014

Long time no see

Well my recent 11 hour plus training week was followed by an easier period of just under 8 hours. This coming week and next it ramps up yet again.

Last week included some tempo work both on the bike (all turbo trainer) and track but nothing too long. I was pleased to get in another 3.5 hours of swimming (3 sets), which is certainly helping me to improve in my weakest discipline. One of the swim sets was some 1-2-1 coaching with Mike (one of the Tri Club's swim coaches). He was generally impressed with my progress, especially in relation to my bilateral breathing and better body position (improved roll) but gave me some homework to help with hand entry and my catch / pull technique.

This week will be interesting as I have a number of work engagements and early morning commitments (taking children to airports at crazy hours!). Normally it would have been very difficult to get in 12 hours plus of training, however I am fortunate that the Club has a training weekend planned, which should drastically increase the volume (total of 11 hours scheduled for the weekend alone, if I did every session). I aim to get in an easy bike tomorrow, swim on Wednesday and long run on Thursday morning (another early start) beforehand. If all goes to plan I should easily hit my goal training volume, setting me up nicely for another big week thereafter, at which time I have some time away from the office to complete all the training. This week is slightly more run focus and then it is all about the bike.

I am keen to use my Birthday present, a smart Silva Trail Runner II headlamp, which is marketed as a powerful, lightweight running lamp that is ideal for early morning off-road runs. One of these days I will drive into work, cycle home on my Brompton and then return the next morning on foot (a 18-20 mile trail run along the South Downs Way, Downs Link and along the seafront). Fortunately my car is then conveniently at the office in order to save my legs getting back home once again.

I did quite a bit of research before selecting the Silva Trail Runner II and am so far very pleased with my choice.

New Toy: Silva Trail Runner II headlamp

I have some thoughts for some future blog posts:

- Trying out the new Fitbit Force, courtesy of my cousin (Mr. Harddrive)
- Details of the training weekend and whether I met my increased goal target
- New Brownlee book, a good read so far

Meanwhile, thanks for checking in once again and sorry for leaving it so long between posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...