Monday 19 January 2015

Still coughing but managed 50km on the trails last week

I am still struggling with a dry cough, especially at night time, however last week wasn't a total 'write off'.

There were only a couple of bike turbo sets and one long swim but fortunately 3 decent run sets - 2x intervals / tempo sessions and the all-important long run when I clocked just over 34km. In total I hit the magic 50km, which was my goal for the week.

Over the coming weeks I expect to push my total run distance up, aiming for an additional 10% increase until I hit around 75km (weekly total, not an individual run).

For my next long and easy run I fancy the Downs Link again. This time I aim to first run to Southwater (on country roads, approx. 12km from home) and then will head towards Guildford on the Downs Link (33km from Southwater to Guildford). It is nice and flat, which is not what I will be experiencing during the South Downs 50 mile ultra run, however it would be a good test and the longest run I have ever attempted (before that it would be marathon distance of 42km). I will allow myself 5 hours. If I start around 10am then I can reach Guildford around 3pm giving me an hour or two for a coffee and some food before heading back with my daughter in the car (she is currently working in Guildford) - sounds like a plan!

Thereafter I have plans to run to Brighton over the South Downs but via Devils Dyke to include a good 3-4 climbs, which will be the identical route for my ultra event. A month before the race I am also thinking of entering the Steyning Stinger marathon, again over the South Downs, giving me plenty of practice.

My cycling has taken a bit of back-stage, mostly because of my run focus and lack of commuting to work. Post the ultra run my focus will very quickly shift to the bike as I have Liege-Bastogne-Liege sportive to think of at the end of April.

Hopefully, these events and the training beforehand should provide a good base for the forthcoming triathlon season, which are going to be bias to a number of  shorter-distance Club events and possibly a half-ironman!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...