Monday 29 February 2016

Reporting back - Malta marathon race report

It has been a while since my last blog post.

I have managed to get in some semi-decent training volume over the last 2-3 weeks including a bit more strength work in the gym. I have also had some better results in the pool, namely my 200m + 400m time trial times have both improved:

200m - 3:18
400m - 7:10

The latest 200m time trial effort is close to my personal best (PB) of 3:17 but the 400m is still some 20 secs short.

At least there has been some progress mostly due to the new-found focus on better rotation and extra reach, which sets me up for a more efficient pull through the water. I has also made some improvements to my kick, which was almost non-existent beforehand.

I would have liked to have got in a couple more longer runs before the Malta marathon but for whatever reasons it didn't work out.

Anyway, I am writing this blog in the plane on the way back to the UK after a relatively decent marathon result. I was hoping for a PB but came up a little short on the day with a time of 3:46:00.

We started 200m up in Medina and finished at sea level so from the look of it a downhill race. However, there were some elevated sections, albeit nothing that caused me too many issues. On the day there was a strong wind that didn't help and I believe slowed me in parts. By the time we finished (around 11:20am) the sun was pretty strong. I actually prefer the warmer conditions although did get a bit of sunburn on my arms and neck, despite applying some suntan lotion beforehand.  I ran with a lightweight race hat, which kept the sun off my face and was useful for keeping me cool when squeezing some water from the wet sponges given out at aid stations over my head. I did suffer from a bit of chaffing between the thighs and also a small blister on my right foot, which was caused when I stopped suddenly and twisted around to grab my hat after it flew off in the wind.

The first 20-25km went well, possibly too well (or too fast). I was averaging just under 5 mins per kilometres, which if I could maintain put me on a 3:30 target.

I knew I would slow but it came a little earlier than I thought so the last 10km was much tougher than I would have liked. The support from my wife and friends was welcomed during 32-36km and helped me to keep going to the end, however I didn't have anything left to push the last few kilometres and get my PB.

My legs are not feeling too bad today (day after) and I expect with some easy swimming and cycling I will be back to normal training in no time.

Stopping to say hi to my support team

Malta Marathon




















So, what's next....

Well I have a classic cycle event to think about - Paris Roubaix in April, when I will be tackling 163km of which 52km are on cobbles. I am still considering bike options as not too sure my race bike in its current set-up can cope with it.

Thereafter there may be a DIY training camp in Spain at the end of April with some friends and fellow triathletes.

I also need to try and get a few more long and easy runs logged in preparation for my main 'A' race and 100 mile ultra run event in June. The plan will be to do a few long runs in the dark on the Downs, probably as part of my commute but really upping the mileage - potentially some very early starts and finishes.

As always, I will continue to let you know how I get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...