Monday 24 February 2020

Let's face the facts - I need to lose some weight!

Over the last year (or so) my weight has found a new level. OK, so I am not training for an Ironman and averaging 10-12 hours per week - at the moment I rarely hit 6 hours. However, the lack of higher intensity workouts and time with the weights, combined with a lot more wine, nibbles and sugary snacks has not helped.

So for years I ranged from 72-76kg (keeping below 12 stone). This meant I was probably a bit too thin and this was more my preferred race weight. Then for a good few years I was quite happy between 76-80kg (still in the 12-stone zone) and my 'sweet spot'. Now.... yes, you guessed it 80-84kg (into 13+ stone territory)!

Let's face the facts - I need to lose some weight!

The goal is to get back in the high 70s and stay there. So what is the plan?

Well, I am no monk but I cetainly need to reverse the trend and I think I need to commit to the following Dos / Don'ts

To Do:

  • 2-3 (shorter) intensity sets a week
  • 1-2 weight sessions a week, gain more muscle
  • Eat more protein and healthy fats
  • Drink more water
  • At the end of the day, consume slightly less calories than needed (taking into consideration exercise)

The Don'ts:
  • Keep the alcohol to the weekend and limit general consumption
  • Reduce processed food
  • Less carbs (I love bread),especially on non-workout days
  • Less nibbles (salted peanuts, crisps and cheese)
  • Less sugary foods (why do I need cake or chocolate with coffee?)

To be honest I have a relatively healthy diet and eat a good variety of food. I am not big into fast food. I eat more fish and chicken than red meat. I like salads and healthy fats such as avacado, nuts, olive oil etc. I also like fruit and most vegetables.

So it shouldn't be too hard, should it!!! I am aiming for a healthy 0.5kg reduction a week, so 6-10 weeks of weight loss would allow me to attain my goal.

I will keep you informed of my progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...