Friday 16 June 2023

So what's new - faster shoes and more strength work

Morning - another glorious day - beautiful weather.

Going OK this week, 2.5 hours on the bike, albeit commuting (and some e-biking), 1.5 hours running (so far), 1.25 hours weights (heavier) and 25min dip in the sea. If I can get in another 1-2 hours of running then I will be happy with the volume.

So what's new....

My trusty Asics Gel-Keyano trainers are coming to the end of their life (800km+) and I decided to invest in some lighter, faster shoes more ideal for 5Ks up to half-marathon. I opted for some Adidas Adizero Takumi Sen8 running shoes, which I managed to get off of Runners Need, using my 50% Vitality discount, for just over £70 (original price was £170, down to £140 in sale). I went for size 9.5, they are quite narrow but the fit is OK (little snug). They certainly are light, actually there is very little to them, almost made from a super lightweight thin plastic. They are not in the so-called 'carbon supershoes' category although I do hope that will improve my times in any faster races. I plan to test them in a park run - always chasing that sub 20 min time! I might even use them for the Balf half-marathon if I run well in them.

I have only had one run in them so far but there was so improvement in my 'magic mile' time, down to 6:39 but still with plenty of room for improvement.

Otherwise, my Son (Alex the Personal Trainer) has kindly set me up an online programme with some heavier weights to get the most out of my strength sessions, which I need to do more of. We have started with 2x sessions a week. Let's see if I can keep up the momentum!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...