Thursday 14 September 2023

3 days and counting...

So 3 days to my first (proper) race for many years - The Bewl Water 21K solo SwimRun on Sunday 17th September.

Am I ready?

Well, I expect you never feel like you have done enough. My tendonitis issues certainly didn't help and I still have a few niggles - let's hope it holds up! My training is definitely on the lighter side and not where I ideally want it to be, Achilles tendons issues, or not. My weight is definitely on the heavier side - I did lose a bit but am still going into battle 2-3 kilos overweight, which is also not ideal.

Anyway, enough excuses. My time is nearly up and this week I am taking it pretty easy (call it a taper!). I am looking forward to the event, simply as it is something different and fit enough, or not, I am doing it. Even if the time is not great I reckon I can manage the distance - going for 'completion' rather than 'competing'.

Saying that, I do have some race goals:

1. Get across the finish line with a smile on my face and no injuries

2. Ideally complete the 17K+ of running and 4K+ of swimming (plus all transitions) under 3 hours

3. Stretch target would be 2 hours 40 mins

4. Get on the podium in my age group (50+), although that might happen by default if there are only 3 solo racers for the 21K above 50 years old

I expect my next post will be the race report and results.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...