Thursday 21 September 2023

Post Bewl and thinking ahead to Bath

This morning I managed a steady 6.5km run (local loop) at sub 5min per km pace - my first run effort since the Bewl SwimRun event. I was pleased that the body, legs and ankles felt OK and my pace was decent.

I was a little more wary of my heart rate - it did hit 157 today but the average over the 6.5km was 140. Looking at similar runs (same route and pace) my stats are about the same. On the 7km run section of the SwimRun my HR averaged 151. That all makes sense and doesn't concern me. Just need to get a bit more training running in a wetsuit.

So over the coming weeks my focus will switch to the Bath half-marathon on the 15th October - not long. I need to get in 1-2 longer runs (without injuring myself) and some sprint intervals plus tempo runs.

I will post my race strategy in a future blog but currently looking at an average pace of 5mins per km to hit around the 1:45 time. In theory, this should be a relatively comfortable half-marathon race pace for me (not PB territory), although I might be kidding myself a bit! Need to get the final training in so that it is more of an enjoyable experience. Another 1-2 kilos reduction would also help - just under 83kg today.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...