Tuesday 21 August 2012

Tom Maynard Trust Charity Cycle Ride

175 miles (280km) on the bike in last 2 days - cycling from Cardiff to the Oval cricket ground.

I had the opportunity to cycle on behalf of my Company, Brewin Dolphin, for the Tom Maynard Trust in a charity event. There were 30 cyclists including myself, mostly professional cricketers who personally knew the late Tom Maynard.

My post Ironman fitness paid dividends because I believe I was much more 'cycle fit' than the majority of the cyclists and kept in the lead group all the way with no ill effects after the first day and near on 170km in the legs. A few of the cyclists pushed it at the end and were reaching respectable average speeds of 30-40km/h for a good 90mins on a rolling route. I felt good, kept up with them and also took my time in front.

Day 2 was a much easier ride with the group keeping together - a much more social cycle ride (still 70 miles) at Z1-2 pace. I will put in down in Training Peaks as a long aerobic recovery ride.

The climax of the ride came when we reached the Oval. We were greeted by thousands of people paying their respects to Tom and our cycling efforts. We were announced on the loud speaker and had to do a lap of the Oval ground waving to the crowds. The whole event was televised and ended with a very moving film of Tom on the giant screen. I got to know his family and good friends over the last couple of days (including Freddie Flintoff) and I know it was hard for them to watch, however a great tribute to someone who was obviously very well loved and liked by all.

Anyway back to reality and work tomorrow. I am planning to do a short morning run and possibly the Wednesday club swim. Then it is a bit of a taper before the Vachery off-road event on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...