Thursday 15 November 2012

Update on weekly progress

As I report most weeks I am coming up a bit short on the plan, yet again (not that there is really much structure to the plan at the moment). Last week I was on course for a 10 hour week but I fell at the last hurdle and didn't get my long run / ride in so ended the week with a total of 8.

This week I have completed approx 5 hours so far.

The good news is that I finally got in the pool for the longer 1:30 club session. Coach MT jumped in our lane to show us how to complete the perfect warm up 3x (100m front-crawl and 2x 50m backstroke). Although the Coach kept the warm up easy and consistent, it was still a bit of a push for me and I ended a little out of puff. Next came the drills - mostly catch-up - all bilateral breathing. Then my favourite - a set using all the toys (pull-buoy, paddles, fins) in different combinations. For the last 30 mins we focussed on 50m sets at different speeds with decreasing swim and rest times. When I got home I treated myself to a chocolate protein shake to reward myself for a job well done.

In addition to the swim I have completed a 2-hour bike commute and 2x 45 min run sessions - one strength orientated - 5-6km run + 6x (10 push-ups, 10 dips, 10 lunges, 10 squats, 10 step ups). The second run, today's effort was more of a recovery run, relatively easy although I did complete a faster section (about 2km at a higher pace - approx. 4:30 to 5:00 mins per km).

Not sure if I should get on the bike again tomorrow and cycle into work again (another 2 hours in the bank) or take a rest day, as my legs felt a little heavy today during the run.

For the weekend there is the usual 1:00 Club swim and the possibility of that elusive long run / ride on Sunday.

So the week tally could be anything from 6 to 10 hours, depending on the decisions I make. I do feel there is a bit of momentum building but I am more likely to fully commit once I have some more definite goals and an improved plan in place - that's my homework before December hits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...