Tuesday 8 October 2013

Product Test: Lezyne Zecto Drive LED Rear light

With the darker mornings / nights and heavy local traffic cycle lights are essential - my personal thoughts are you can't have enough and if you plan to ride in the dark best go out lit up like a Christmas tree.

Up to now I have ridden with an USE Exposure Flare at the rear, generally a good bit of kit, however a little annoying and costly to replace the CR123A batteries on a regular basis. I now understand USE do a rechargeable pack for the unit for around £20 but meanwhile each battery costs between £4-£8.

I wanted to buy another LED rear light to complement the Flare and headed over to Upgrade Bikes' great website and friendly and professional service.


The Zecto retails around £30. I am always impressed by the build quality of Lezyne products (seems like they have had lessons from Apple). The battery recharging is done via a USB style cable, which is ideal for me - opportunity to charge at home / work. I also like the range of flashing options and the battery charge indicator - all very slick, as I have come to expect from Lezyne.

As for the performance - it certainly appeared to be as bright as the slightly more expensive Flare, with more flashing modes to choose from.

Most quality retail outlets now stock Lezyne products, Upgrade Bikes being the exclusive distributor in the UK and run by my good friend and fellow triathlete, Matt Ryley.

Upgrade bikes also distribute the Kinesis brand, amongst others, and I am loving their new range of titanium frames. Certainly worth considering when I can afford to upgrade by Ribble frame.

Lezyne Zecto Drive


Lezyne Vecto Drive LED Rear Light - detailed specification
Commute / Road / MTB rechargable safety rear light.

ZECTO rear sets the new standard in rechargable, high-visibility lighting and brings added safety to every cyclist at an affordable price.

Three high intensity red LEDs are mounted in custom "MOR" lens for increased output efficiency.

180 degrees of visibilty with multiple side LEDs with double as charge and power indicator.

Compact size (40mmx40mm x 35mm).

Composite body with engineered alloy bezel.

Lightweight (52g with strap) and tough.

Six modes: Three flash modes, Economy and Blast solid modes plus "Daytime Flash" mode.

Waterproof (FL1 standard) rubber button and charge port seal.

New "hipster" easy-fit bracket with patented durable rubber strap fits the bike, your belt, clothing, bags, seatpack, just about anywhere you like.

Zecto is supplied with MicroUSB to USB cable and easily charged from any USB plug.

Charging indicators built into side LEDs.

Intelligent power indicator fuel gauge LEDs double as side illumination.

Highest qualtiy Lithium Polymer battery built in.

2 year warranty.

Rear Output rating: Economy Flash modes 10lm; Economy 5lm; Blast 10lm; Daytime Flash 20lm.

Burn times: 2hr45min - 7hr depending on mode.

Day or night...Ride safe, always be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March update - not so cheery

This last week has not been so great... Very unlike me, but I have had a really bad cold, which I think I have mostly beaten, although I hav...