Monday 15 May 2023

A SwimRun day

On Sunday I managed a decent long run. My Garmin Coach wanted an easy pace 11.6km but I finally had some spare time so decided to push the distance a little. I planned for a 16km loop (ended up over 17km), mostly off-road, at an easy pace (around 6min per km).

The run didn't get off to the best start. In the field opposite me (within first 300m of run) I lost my footing and lunged forward grazing my leg and wrist. Fortunately I hadn't done any other damage so I dusted myself down and continued the run.

The rest of the run passed with not much drama - all felt relatively easy at the 6min per km pace - there were some super boggy fields that I wish I avoided, literally my foot disappeared in the sloppy mud. It did make me change my route a little and I ended up with the last 5km on the road.

When I got home the first thing I did was wash my trainers (fortunately I wore my SwimRun Salomons) and then I hit the shower to see exactly what damage I had done from the fall - not too bad. I also weighed myself and was not surprised to see a decent reduction, albeit probably all water. It dropped a massive 1.6kg, although the next weigh in, before bed, and it was up 1.1kg, so a net loss of 0 5kg.

That same day I also went up to Southwater Lake for the first dip of the season. Only one other swimmer joined me (Julie), although we had a spotter (Miles) watching us both. Julie is a much stronger swimmer than me so off she went, I actually used my paddles (SwimRun training) during the 1000m swim or 4 laps of the lake. It was surprisingly warm(ish) with my wetsuit, well a lot better than going in the sea. My arms did hurt that evening, probably too much paddle work, so much so I had to take a Paracetamol to ease the pain.

Tomorrow will definitely be a day of rest. I probably only managed 5 hours+ of training for the week, however it was quality sessions (more specific).

Here is a picture of me and Julie taken after the lake swim, taken by Miles and posted onto our Club website to try and encourage other Club athletes to swim in future weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...