Monday 29 May 2023

DIY e-MTB and new life for Ellsworth Epiphany

Bank Holiday and today I completed the conversion of my old trusty 26inch Ellsworth Epiphany mountain bike into a e-beast with a powerful Bafang mid-motor and crazy large 48v 19Ah battery, which is too big for the frame so goes in a backpack - crazy but wow it is fun!

More on that later but first the scores on the doors for the week - just scaped over the line with 6 hours of cycling and running (3 sets) training.

I am still going with Garmin Coach and generally enjoying the sets. A couple of cycle commutes thrown in for good measure. No swimming and no strength sessions - not so good!

Today (new week) were some more 'Goal Race Repeats' - I am probably doing them a bit fast (faster than half-marathon goal pace). Later in the week I have a similar set but 'Speed Repeats' so they should be quicker, hopefully it will help me to tune in to the recommended session pacing.

As mentioned earlier I did have a cheeky hour on the new improved Ellsworth Epiphany, now with a powerful Bafang motor to power it up the hills. I may need to do a bit of tuning and fit gear/brake sensors to stop the motor firing all the time. I am not completely convinced I have sized the chain that well so work to be done!

I do love my DIY e-bikes (Brompton and now e-MTB) - great fun and good for recovery days. Don't worry I am not going completely e-Bonkers (digital) and my road plus triathlon remain analogue (old school).

So need to rectify the lack of swimming and strength work for rest of the week. Might try a sea swim tomorrow if waves aren't too big. Also 4 runs scheduled for this week - one completed so 3 left.

Onwards and upwards 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...