Tuesday 29 August 2023

Update on injury and race preparation

I wish I had more to tell...

My race preparation isn't going to plan - my Achilles injury is taking longer to heal than on previous occasions (I am getting older!) so my running has pretty much stopped over last month. I have done a bit of open water swimming and some mixed cycling (road bike and e-bike) but not enough be anywhere near race fit and to generally keep the weight off.

Saying that, after a few false starts, I think I am finally on the mend and may be ready for a run this week - without pain would be good.

Lucy and I are just back from a lovely 3 days in the Lake District. We managed some lovely walks (bit of mist and rain) plus three open water swims in Derwent Water. My ankle was OK(ish) although I acquired a blister from the long walks to add to my collection.  My left shoulder also had a few twinges - what is happening to me!

I really do not want to pull out of either of my races - SwimRun in mid September or half-marathon in October but it is getting close. I don't mind a bit of 'winging it' but I need to be sensible and not do myself any long-term damage (further injuries).

Anyway let's hope I have better news over the coming days - in an ideal world the Achilles injury would be better, I would be able to get a few dummy runs in (checking out race equipment) and I would be 2 kilos lighter - here's hoping (dreaming)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...