Monday 24 April 2023

Trying out a Huel protein shake

I haven't much worried about my protein intake over recent years, however after recent calorie tracking via MyFitnessPal I realised my consumption of protein was pretty much always under the daily recommended levels. As you may have read from recent blogs I am attempting to reduce carbs and increase protein whilst also targeting some body fat/weight loss.

The weekday fast seems to be achievable - this morning I kept to a morning black coffee/green tea. At midday I went for an easy zone 1 recovery run but added in 6x sets of 10x push-ups, lunges, squats and bench-dips. On my return to the office I made myself a Huel 'Vanilla Fudge'  complete protein shake - 105 calories per serving, 20g plant-based protein, 9g of Amino Acids and 26 essential vitamins and minerals. You make it with cold water - tastes kind of OK, albeit a bit sweet. I also bought the 'Banana' flavour to try.

Huel sent me a complimentary pack of their 'Salted Caramel' Black Edition formula - 17:40:40: 3 macro split - carbs, fat, protein and fibre respetively. It is a larger 400 calorie serving but includes 40g of protein.

I think the 105 complete protein is a good option initially to keep my calories low so I can enjoy a balanced evening meal (circa 700 calories) and try to keep to around 800 calories for the day in order to lose weight (at least to my target of 79.5kg). Thereafter I will switch to higher calories and ideally a Mediterranen diet with continued higher protein intake.

This regime plus regular exercise and more strength/resistance work should help me to get down to my target race weight and be the long-term foundation to build muscle, speed and stamina.

All sounds good!!

N.B. Last time I was actually below 80kg was 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...