Wednesday 26 April 2023

More about the training plan - working around the detail

So far this week I have managed a run/strength set, a relatively easy commute (spin) on e-Brompton and an easy 30 minute trail run with a few push-ups added to the mix. Probably need to get in an interval set, more strength+weights and then a longer (10km+) run in over the weekend.

Thinking ahead to my 'A' race - SwimRun (Sept) and 'B' race - Bath half-marathon (Oct) I have just over 20 weeks to consider my training plan.

Big picture and core blocks:

- 6 weeks foundation
- 6 weeks build
- 6 weeks specific
- 2 weeks taper

So in my initial 6 weeks foundation I am simply interested in buiding up the volume from circa 3-4 hours to a minimum of 6 hours, getting 3x runs in during the week (sprint/hill work + tempo + long), mixing up the terrain from off-road and road and occasionally throwing in an easy recovery run. During the foundation phase over May-Jun I hope to get at least 1-2 swims a week (pool or sea). Plus increasing amount of strength/resistance work. I expect there will also be some cross-training, primarily cycling, as I cannot forget my triathlon background. In summary, the focus is getting in some quality workouts but I am not necessarily too worried during the early months about how it all fits together to move me towards my specific goals. Let's say I am pointing in the right direction.

During the summer months Jun-Jul I need to increase the volume of my swimming and also start to include more Swim/Run transitions. There will be a greater emphasis on higher interval sets and improving both speed and endurance. I hope my weekly volume with also improve to circa 8 hours+

For the final block from Jul-Aug I aim to get much more specific in my training. I will expect to have at least a couple of weekly sessions where it is full SwimRun kit practising transitions, use of all the gear and very targeted workouts to ensure I am best prepared for September.

Finally I will reduce the training volume at the end of Aug, early September as I taper down for the main event. Focus on keeping injury free, good balanced diet (hopefully the right weight by then), well hydrated, clear visualisation of the event, and setting some goals for the big day. 

After the 'A' race my focus will shift to the Bath half-marathon, albeit my 'B' race and assisting Amalie complete her first proper running event - more on that later.

Lots more detail and weekly breakdown to come plus all the 'ups and downs' but that is the high-level roadmap.

Wish me luck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sri Lankan experience

Fri 29th March and sitting in the sun around the pool in beautiful sunshine. We are day 3 of our Sri Lankan experience and currently at our ...